Blogger Templates

Friday, October 12, 2012

Persephone

So Octobers Goddess to study is Persephone. When I first pulled this card for this months Goddess I looked at it and thought to myself "Oh I know all about her" but still I carried on my studies of the different stories and beliefs of Persephone. All are basically the same but different names and locations for her and the story etc........

But what got me was the day I pulled her I sat in front of my laptop thinking I wanted to blog about certain Samhain/Halloween traditions I do. So I wanted to blog about what I do with the pomegranate. Then after I posted the blog I realized that pomegranate was a part of Persephone's story on why she has to stay in the underworld. So I just thought, "huh cool".

Next my hubby walks in the house from getting groceries and he turns to me and says " I got you some pomegranates. " And now I think whoa weird! Then I log into my Facebook and one of the pages I follow has the story on pomegranates posted along with three recipes for and how to use pomegranates in daily meals. So what are the odds? What does it mean?

So any who back to the Goddess of October study is Persephone. Card pulled from Goddess Inspiration Oracle Guide by Kris Waldherr.

PERSEPHONE-The Maiden/The Seasons, Sexuality, Innocence
Find ways to use your innocence as a strength.

Persephone, the treasured daughter of the harvest goddess Demeter, was honored by the ancient Greeks as the queen of the underworld. She is also acknowledged as the kore or maiden aspect of the triple goddess.

Persephone's transitional journey from maiden to queen of the underworld was instigated when Pluto, god of death, kidnapped her. The girl's heart was unmoved by the god's declarations of devotion. Instead, she wept for her mother and refused to eat. Finally, after some time had passed, Persephone tasted six seeds of the pomegranate  This act defined her sexuality and of Pluto as her husband. It also ensured her separation from her mother, Demeter, for a month for each seed. This myth was used by the ancient Greeks to explain the creation of spring and winter.

Well that is the story from the oracle deck. If you know of anything different or the symbolism of pomegranates popping up in my daily life please let me know. Hope all of you enjoyed this. Love and Light....





No comments:

Post a Comment